Environmental Technician – Level 1
Job Purpose:Assist Environmental Technician in the Management of waste receipts, in-plant transfer and movement, manifest reviews, labeling, storage, inventory, reports and off site shipments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Make hose connections for off-loading and transfer of materials.
- Maintain clean work area.
- Align valves and piping for transfer of materials.
- Unload and transfer materials in drums, totes and the like for waste processing.
- Monitor waste processing and transfer operations.
- Other duties as assigned by facility manager or Environmental Technician Level 2.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED)
- 40 Hour OSHA Certified/With annual 8 Hour Refresher
- Some Waste handling and processing experience preferred.
- Some familiarity with the following equipment is desirable:
- Sampling equipment
- Fork truck
- Diaphragm pump
- Centrifugal pump
- Progressive cavity pumps
- Mix tanks
- Flow meters
- Portable generators
- Filter Press
- Oil Water Separator
- Read and comprehend instructions and memorandum
- Good oral and written communication.
- Add, subtract, multiply, divide, and convert units of measurement in whole numbers, fractions and decimals.
- Compute rate, ratio and percent.
- Apply “common sense” understanding to carry out instructions.
- Deal with problems involving several variables.
- Organize and handle multiple tasks with competing due dates in an efficient manner.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Good interpersonal skills
- Understanding of RCRA regulations
- Familiarity with common chemical terms and simple chemical principles.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Be able to lift 50 pounds safely
- Be able to move 55 gallon drums with manual drum mover
- Be able to work in an outside environment approximately 75% of the time.
- Be able to walk, climb ladders, work from elevated platforms, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk and hear.
- Must be able to enter a hazardous area.
- Must be clean shaven.
- Must be able to wear and use a demand type respirator.
- Must be able to wear fire resistant clothing.