Oilmen's Equipment Corporation was founded in 1951. Its beginning was from a parent company, Littlejohn Equipment Company, started around 1936 by R. E. Littlejohn. In 1978 the company, with 14 employees, was acquired by John P. Faris Jr. It originally focused its operation on distributing petroleum equipment to service stations and truck tanks for home heating oil delivery.
In 1980 the company moved into a newly constructed office, warehouse and repair facility. Since that time the company has expanded its facilities on 5 separate occasions and now comprises 26,500 square feet on a 22-acre campus.
In 1986, the enterprise was restructured to more effectively service its three diverse markets. At that time three subsidiaries were formed and the three distinct operating divisions of Oilmen’s Equipment Corporation were transferred into the new corporations. OEC Fluid Handling, Inc., became the industrial sales and distribution arm of Oilmen’s Equipment Corporation; OEC Petroleum Systems, Inc., focused on distributing petroleum dispensing equipment to the service station and convenience store sector; and Oilmen’s Truck Tanks, Inc. handled the sales and repair of truck tanks and related parts.
Business steadily grew through the years. Oilmen's Equipment and its subsidiary, OEC Fluid Handling expanded with a branch location in Charlotte and Greensboro, North Carolina; OEC Petroleum Systems established full service branches in Asheville, North Carolina and Columbia, South Carolina. In 1995 Oilmen's Truck Tanks opened its second repair shop in Asheville, North Carolina.
As the company moves into its 57th year of operation, Oilmen's Equipment Corporation now employs over 100 associates at its five locations.