- Develop and execute a plan of engagement to bring prospects and donors to the College and University through active use of the development process, including solicitation of major gifts.
- Secure major gifts aimed at meeting the strategic goals of the unit leadership, their programs, disciplines, and the University.
- In consultation with the Chief Development Officer and the Senior Associate Vice President for Advancement, identify and establish personal contact with current and prospective major gift donors whose interest and financial capacity have the greatest likelihood of meeting the Unit and University fundraising goals.
- Provide strategic planning and consultation on the overall Advancement program to College and Department leadership in assigned areas.
- Ability to travel and perform evening and weekend duties as required.
- Orchestrate and execute the advancement of relationships with prospective donors through appropriate stages of discovery, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Collaborate with appropriate development and academic staff to develop prospect strategies and build relationships.
- Set up specific goals and objectives to effectively advance toward solicitation of major gifts.
- Ensure appropriate coordination with Unit’s corporate and business partners and various unit and University constituencies.
- Host or co-host development-related receptions and other donor events locally and regionally.
- Become familiar with and understand key initiatives of the Unit relating to faculty, students, instruction, and research.
- Assist as needed with the Unit staff and University Advancement staff to plan and implement the advancement program for the unit including development, alumni relations, and marketing and communications for advancement.
- Ensure effective records maintenance, including timely filing of requests for prospect assignments, prospect strategies and contact reports, using Purdue University’s prospect management system.
- Report regularly on the progress toward the Unit’s annual action plan.
- Become adept at using the CRM database in support of annual and major gift activities.
- Continually improve professional competency through participation and/or leadership in professional organizational and other not-for-profit organizations.
Skills, Knowledge and Expertise
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to speak before large groups.
- Ability to display patience, empathy, and compassion surrounding sensitive client cases and experiences.
- Ability to articulate the mission of Purdue University as needed.
- Ability to interact with stakeholders from a wide range of professional and cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to use good judgement, diplomacy, maintain confidentiality and represent the University with tact and diplomacy at all times.
- Possess initiative and the ability to collaborate effectively as part of a team.
- Excellent relationship building, organizational skills, and ability to handle multiple projects.
- Must have strong problem solving and decision-making skills, as well as attention to detail.
- Knowledge of Ascend, Microsoft Outlook, and Office Suite.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Four to six years' experience.
- Prior experience in fund development, including exposure to or solicitation of annual gifts, major gifts, and planned gifts is preferred but not a requirement.
- Experience in higher education or other non-profit organizations is preferred but not a requirement.
About Purdue for Life Foundation
The Purdue for Life Foundation is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Purdue for Life views, evaluates, and treats all persons in all Foundation-related activities solely as individuals on the basis of their own personal abilities, qualifications, and other relevant characteristics. All qualified applicants for employment will receive consideration without regard to race, religion, color, gender, national origin or ancestry, genetic information, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or status as a veteran.
A criminal conviction check and negative controlled substance test are required for employment in this position.