The Washington DC office of the nation’s leading advocacy organization for children’s healthcare, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), seeks a strategic thinker with superior writing skills and diligent attention-to-detail to coordinate a wide array of time-sensitive work. Reporting to the Director, Global Child Health Advocacy this position will provide policy and project support for AAP global child health advocacy grant programs, including monitoring and reporting on AAP global child health policy priorities and assisting with and providing support to the Director on global advocacy efforts to Congress, the Administration, the United Nations, and to other advocacy groups including attending coalition, task force, or roundtable meetings.
Qualified candidates will possess:
· Bachelor's degree in public health, political science, international affairs, or related discipline or an equivalent combination of relevant education and work experience including global child health and federal legislative processes required.
· Two to three years related experience in child health or federal government arena required. Hill or medical association work highly desirable.
· Excellent organizational, interpersonal, time management, critical thinking, and verbal/written communication skills essential.
· Be able to manage multiple priorities simultaneously, work both independently and as part of a team, exercise good judgment, display initiative, collaborate effectively with various internal and external constituents, and promote and maintain a positive and cooperative team-oriented work environment with a commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
· Strong technical acumen with proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), knowledge of web or collaboration site maintenance software (eg, SharePoint), and the ability to learn and apply new technologies required; experience with web conferencing software (eg, WebEx) preferred.
· Absolute factual reporting is essential.
· Some travel and evening/weekend work may be required.
Hybrid work environment of 40% of work time in the office per month.
All AAP employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Requests for a medical or religious accommodation in regard to this vaccination can be submitted for consideration upon an offer of employment.
To learn more about the organization, see a full job description, and/or apply for the position, please visit https://www.aap.org/employment.
The AAP offers an excellent work environment, competitive salary, and a comprehensive benefits package. As a reaffirmation to our employee-focused culture, since 2005 the AAP has been named one of the 101 Best and Brightest Companies to Work for in the Chicagoland area. Additionally, we are an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Individuals with Disabilities, and Veterans that values the strength diversity brings to our workplace.
Reasonable Accommodation: Individuals with a disability in need of a reasonable accommodation regarding the job application process may call 630-626-6297. Please note, only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will receive a response.
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) is a membership organization of 67,000 pediatricians and approximately 475 staff committed to the optimal physical, mental, and social health and well-being for all infants, children, adolescents, and young adults. The AAP promotes pediatrics and advances child health priorities by developing policy, conducting research, building coalitions, raising public awareness, funding community-based projects, and supporting training and professional education for our membership.
Mission: The mission of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) is to attain optimal physical, mental, and social health and well-being for all infants, children, adolescents, and young adults. To accomplish this mission, the AAP shall support the professional needs of its members.
Our fabulous benefits: Health, Dental, Vision, LTD/STD, Vacation, Sick, Holiday pay, 401K/403B, Health and Wellness Reimbursement Program, Goal Achievement Program, Tuition Reimbursement, Life Insurance and AD&D Insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts.