Support the Region Counsel in managing responsibilities of the Florida & Mid-Atlantic Region Legal Department, which includes operations in 9 states (Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Virginia, Maryland, West Virginia, Delaware, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey).
The Real Estate Paralegal will assist the Florida & Mid-Atlantic Region team with: (i) managing and approving the contracting, entitlement, and closing of spot lot real estate acquisitions throughout Florida, including title, zoning, permitting, and other entitlements, (ii) initial drafting and organizing of transactional documents relating to deals with D.R. Hortons Forestar affiliate, and (iii) managing HOA documentation throughout Florida.
Essential Job Functions
* Under the guidance of Region Counsel, work with Division land acquisition teams and outside counsel in managing 1-3 lot acquisitions throughout Florida.
* Review and confirm legal descriptions of property based on third-party title work
* Manage communication, document execution and workflow for closings of land/lot acquisitions
* Review and confirm closing statements, including tax prorations and other fees/charges
* Facilitate communication between Region and Divisions
* Coordinate acquisition file management, involving coordinating all aspects of an acquisition and ensuring appropriate steps are taken in a timely fashion
* Complete pending purchase and sale agreements, assignments, development management agreements, and amendments thereto, and create closing checklists for all real estate deals
* Calculate legal deadlines and filing documents as required
* Ensure the Region adheres to due diligence calendars and eliminate schedule conflicts
* Review title reports and exception documents
* Draft and sign legal correspondence that is informative in nature but does not include legal opinion or advice
* Review and prepare form HOA declarations and other HOA documents for use in Florida.
* Prepare closing instruction letters, closing documents and binders, review title policies and work with title companies regarding any policy issues
* Conducts all business in a professional and ethical manner to serve customers and increase the goodwill and proficiency of the company
* Ability to work overtime, if needed based on offices collective workload and impending deadlines
* Must be a self-starter with the ability to work independently and within a team
* Demonstrate an ability to meet strict deadlines, with multiple projects while maintaining organized project files
* Must process creative problem-solving skills, resourcefulness and tenacity
* Regular and reliable attendance
* Perform clerical and administrative duties as needed
* Understand entitlement processes and procedures
* Perform legal research, fact gathering, and information retrieval both via traditional systems such as libraries and computer-based research
* Respond to requests for information
* Archive files and documents
* Additional duties as assigned
1. Associates degree / Paralegal certification
2. 5 years of Real Estate transactional experience
3. 2 years of experience with HOA law/documentation
4. Strong written and verbal communication skills
5. Highly organized and able to track an acquisition from initial contact through closing
6. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written oral form or via DRH applications
7. Proficiency with MS Office and email
8. Ability to sit for majority of 8-hour workday; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and peripheral vision
9. The noise level is generally moderate
Come join a winning team with a Fortune 500 company! We are growing fast and are looking for enthusiastic attitudes and team players to join our success. We offer an excellent benefits package including:
Medical, Vision and Dental
Employee Stock Purchase Plan
Flex Spending Accounts
Vacation, Sick, Personal Time and Company Holidays
*Build YOUR future with D.R. Horton, Americas Builder.*
Followus on social media @hortoncareers for an inside look at our company and connect with us on LinkedIn for up to date job listings!
Construction Jobs is the nation's premier employment resource built exclusively for the construction, design, and engineering industries. Since 2000 we've made it our business to empower customers with the most affordable and efficient recruiting tools of the highest quality available in the construction industry. Our platform offers a database of job postings, predominantly from direct employers, as well as an active resume database full of job seekers ready for hire. Our interactive site provides targeted candidate searches by geographic region, specific industries, job titles, education, and experience. The site is free to job seekers and available to employers at various subscription fees.