Responsible for the hands-on assembly of Ultra-low temperature cryogenic products including dilution refrigerator system and He-3 cryostat. Knowledge of wiring, soldering, reading and working from mechanical assembly drawings and/or solid work. Working with mass spectrometer leak detectors, vacuum pumps, low-temperature thermometers transferring cryogens and trouble-shooting cryogenic systems.
Basic electrical and electronics knowledge. Good experience working with laboratory tools and facilities.
This position requires good manual dexterity and working with small parts and fine wires.
· Perform all functions of lab technician
· Perform all phases of assembly with minimal supervision and ≥80% efficiency on the
o All models of He-3 cryostat
o All models of dilution refrigerator systems
o All gas handling systems for continuous flow type cryostats
o Some lab-cryo systems
· Able to create a reliable vacuum seals, such as O-ring seal, indium seal, CF seal, etc.
· Able to charge and decontaminate a cryocooler/compressor system
· Able to train other Lab Technician
LEVEL OF RESPONSIBILITY
· No supervisory responsibilities for this position.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a ULT Lab Technician encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, and walk around
· The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls.
· Handling of compressed gas cylinders and cryogenic liquid dewars
· The ability to lift objects up to 50 lbs
· The employee will need to be able to read and write
· The employee will need to have certain levels of problem solving skills
· The employee will need to be able to work wearing safety glasses all day
Work Environment andHazards
· The employee will be required to work with acetone and isopropyl alcohol
· The employee will be exposed to some loud noises such as machine operation and high-pressure gas charging /venting.
· The employee will be exposed to “Hot Work” soldering irons and mini torches.
· The employee will be required to work with sharp cutting tools such as X-acto knifes and single edge razor blades.
· The employee will be exposed to electricity
Based on experience
NO Security Clearance
· Minimum Experience: 2 years
· Education Requirements: High School Diploma, Trade/Technical School
· Sufficient computer skills for the following:
Read SW model or e-drawing
Read BOM and search parts
· Basic vacuum knowledge
· Familiar with vacuum grease
· Being able to do perform basic vacuum pump service
· Skillful for leak checking
· Knowledge on epoxy
Able to read and understand the epoxy matrix
Able to use 5 minute, Stycast 2850, Araldite epoxy etc.
Understand different function for different type of epoxies
· Knowledge on electricity
Understand Ohm’s law (V=IR) and power
Proper use of DMM
Know difference between AC and DC
Aware of different wall socket voltages (120 VAC, 220 VAC, 380 VAC, and 480 VAC)