Mortensons success is not a matter of luck; its a result of our ingenuity, expertise, and exceptional people coupled with our unparalleled focus on customer service.
Our foundation and culture are based upon our company values of trust, safety, teamwork, responsibility, service and stewardship. We are inspired by a compelling purpose to build structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society and a mission to create an exceptional customer experience. Mortenson has built a reputation for being a leader in our industry and in the communities in which we live and work.
It all starts with our exceptional people and exceptional teams. Mortenson has been voted a \"best place to work\" 40 times regionally over the past decade\u2026
\u2026What are you waiting for?!
The Product Manager is responsible for identifying and managing material supply strategies for large construction projects and managing vendor relationships for their assigned vendor accounts. This position is with BLU54, a distributor of construction materials, which is an affiliated entity of Mortenson and will support their doors and hardware product line.
What will you be doing?
A. Develop and manage the Doors, Frames and Hardware product category.
B. Collaborate with design team to identify innovative product solutions for construction projects.
C. Provide take-offs, estimating, and bids function for Division 08 products and services. Consolidate pricing from various manufacturers in order to bid an entire package of doors (hollow metal, wood, aluminum, glass, other), door hardware, and access control door hardware.
D. Provide detailed door and hardware schedules and submittals for the project. Verify sizes, dimensions, profiles, handing, anchorage, degree of opening, or construction related items.
E. Oversee ordering of material, including coordinating templates, preps and special fabrication requirements.
F. Coordinate with other trades impacting doors and hardware, including security and access control.
G. Process RFIs, RFQs, change orders and similar directives from architect and contractor.
1. Understand product needs:
a. Engage Account Managers and key partners to identify vendor and supplier needs consistent with construction project and material needs.
b. Recommend and investigate scope of present and future product lines by understanding project needs, typical specifications and requirements; appraise new product ideas and/or products.
c. Bring new products to market by analyzing proposed product requirements and product development programs; prepare return-on-investment and other analyses, as needed.
d. Assess market competition and pricing by thoroughly understanding the product industry including manufacturers & supply channels.
e. Increase product market share by working with leadership to develop sales strategies.
f. Assess product market data by calling on customers with Account Managers and evaluating product results.
g. Provide information for management by preparing short-term and long-term product sales forecasts and special reports and analyses; answer questions and requests.
H. Manage relationships with key suppliers:
1. Maintain relationships with suppliers at the leadership level.
2. Build and maintain new supplier relationships by educating them on our value adding business model.
3. Partner with Account Manager to establish regional/local market-specific business delivery model.
4. Negotiate national and project specific agreements, including pricing, payment terms & service levels.
5. Ensure suppliers meet our expectations for order status reporting and issue resolution.
6. Leverage relationships to assist buyers with expedites as needed.
7. Monitor suppliers quality and delivery performance and conduct supplier business reviews.
I. Develop pricing strategies and quote individual project scopes:
1. Assess opportunity for each product line and develop value adding supply strategies with Account Managers, product line specialists and suppliers.
2. Develop project proposals and manage submittal package in conjunction with Product Specialists and support resources for all product lines.
3. Manage all project material deliverables from design phase through delivery and project close out.
4. Provide on-site construction project support.
5. Responsible for monthly and annual financial reviews with project information, metrics, forecast and strategy.
6. Ensure exceptional customer service during material delivery phase by expediting, pricing, follow-up, returns and other services as required.
7. Coordinate with the financial team to coordinate proper customer billing and supplier payments.
J. Develop and maintain an atmosphere for team and excellence:
1. Contribute to team effort by meeting results as expected.
2. Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
3. Hire and develop product management staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees.
4. Actively manage and direct support resources to maximize service/sales potential for all product lines.
5. Develop processes and reporting to provide timely order information to customers.
6. Consistently provide responsive, quality service to meet or exceed customer expectations.
K. Effectively work and build relationships with those of diverse backgrounds and organizational levels.
L. Lead team members by example, provide effective coaching and feedback, and effectively manage performance.
M. All other duties as assigned
How do you succeed?
A. Ability to identify/define and solve needs/problems, aptitude interacting with multiple levels of customer/supplier resources
B. Active listening skills and effective communication including an openness to diverse input and feedback
C. Ability to travel up to 25%
D. Knowledge of Equal Employment Opportunity, inclusive behaviors, and Affirmative Action plans and their intended use
Education and Experience Requirements
A. Bachelors degree in Supply Chain Construction Management, Business Management, Marketing, or other related technical field preferred. If no bachelors degree, high school diploma/GED required with 10+ years experience and industry related certification.
B. Minimum 5-10 years experience in related field
C. Specific experience in vendor relationships and contract negotiations
Construction Jobs is the nation's premier employment resource built exclusively for the construction, design, and engineering industries. Since 2000 we've made it our business to empower customers with the most affordable and efficient recruiting tools of the highest quality available in the construction industry. Our platform offers a database of job postings, predominantly from direct employers, as well as an active resume database full of job seekers ready for hire. Our interactive site provides targeted candidate searches by geographic region, specific industries, job titles, education, and experience. The site is free to job seekers and available to employers at various subscription fees.