At Biogen, our mission is clear: we are pioneers in neuroscience. Biogen discovers, develops, and delivers worldwide innovative therapies for people living with serious neurological and neurodegenerative diseases. One of the world's first global biotechnology companies, Biogen was founded in 1978 and today has the leading portfolio of medicines to treat multiple sclerosis, has introduced the first and only approved treatment for spinal muscular atrophy, and is focused on advancing neuroscience research programs in Alzheimer's disease and dementia, MS and neuroimmunology, movement disorders, neuromuscular disorders, acute neurology, neurocognitive disorders, pain, and ophthalmology. Biogen also manufactures and commercializes biosimilars of advanced biologics.
Global Business Services and Business Optimization The Global Business Services (GBS) and Business Optimization team is a newly formed organization established to transform Biogen's business processes to set a platform to scale global operations, fuel commercial growth and the innovation pipeline. Further, GBS will provide further value by developing and delivering a suite of business solutions and support services that are valued by internal customers. GBS will deliver services by leveraging a global delivery model, operational transparency and metrics, leveraging global best practices, and a service-oriented process improvement culture. All solutions will be supported by strong business cases and ultimately monitored for the effectiveness and efficiency against benchmarks and service level agreements.
The vision of GBS at Biogen is to be recognized as a world-class Global Business Services organization driven by the desire for excellence in its people, business solutions, execution and partnerships with internal customers.
The Vendor Contract Lead (VCL) role provides CRO category leadership within the Clinical Services Procurement (CSP) team. The VCL collaborates with the Strategic Sourcing Category Lead during and post the vendor selection process to ensure Master Agreement terms can be operationalized within CSP. The VCL ensures a best in class approach with regard to vendor outsourcing and contracting, including leading the development, implementation & execution of a vendor outsourcing strategy, processes, templates and forms, timelines and metrics within the CRO category. Responsible for representing CSP in governance forums and training as needed.
1. Contract Delivery and Governance a. Has overall accountability for the completion of CRO SUAs, Appendices and Amendments in accordance with company financial/legal controls and master terms, ensuring alignment with study timelines to meet business demand b. Ensures adherence to MCRO pricing and terms across Program and study level contracts c. Independently provides operational day-to-day guidance d. Point of escalation for unresolved issues and challenging negotiations e. Leverages metrics to keep track of progress, timelines and effectiveness of contracting process; Escalates as necessary to resolve issues and instills a sense of urgency to complete contracts in a timely fashion f. Utilizes VCMs to manage volume of work as necessary
2. Lead the implementation & execution of vendor outsourcing strategy within CRO category: a. Create & implement category contracting governance, processes, tools & templates to limit/eliminate contract exceptions & change orders b. Ensures appropriate allocation of work to ensure VCMs have capacity to meet demand; escalates concerns c. Develops market expertise in the assigned category d. Representation in Governance Forum for CRO Category e. Promotes and leads process improvement opportunities within CRO category and department-wide processes with the goal to eliminate non-value added work and increase efficiencies
3. Ensure diligence on vendor indirect fees: a. Accountable for increased level of diligence to ensure CRO is controlling costs on Biogen's behalf b. Implements new Third Party Contracting and Change Order Management process c. Trains and holds VCMs and CRO accountable for following process d. Tracks and reports on escalations
4. Sourcing Support: a. With input from strategic sourcing and business stakeholders, lead/oversee sourcing & negotiation not covered by a sourcing strategy/preferred vendor b. Participates in strategic sourcing projects as clinical services procurement SME c. Represents CSP in Stakeholder Forums (as needed)
5. CSP Training Lead: a. Develops content and trains peers, stakeholders, vendors, and etc. on assigned category and department-wide training initiatives b. Provides change order management guidance to CSP when rolling out changes c. Lead/participate in the creation and maintenance of department processes, tools and templates
6. Guidance on Business Terms: a. Develops a playbook for VCMs to leverage in negotiating master agreements (outside sourcing strategy), frequently used business terms in Appendices and negotiation of master/rate card renewals, including clauses to be escalated to Legal and guidance on how to negotiate business terms b. Provides guidance for negotiation of business terms when there are escalations
7. Lead/participate in department and/or GCO/R&D initiatives that have direct impact to role
* Minimum of 8+ years' experience in clinical vendor management/clinical outsourcing/strategic sourcing within the pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry * Extensive experience in vendor contract negotiation and execution across SRC and Phase I-IV trials. * Strong knowledge and experience of clinical vendor strategy, contracting and financial processes * Experience with contract management systems, contract signature, etc. (e.g. Ariba, Determine, DocuSign, etc.) * Knowledge of the clinical development process (Pharma R&D and Clinical) with a clear understanding of operational and quality (GCP) aspects * Strong financial negotiation skills * Excellent people and customer service skills demonstrating an ability to work as a team player within matrix teams, interacting with all levels of staff, both within and external to the company to establish good partnerships/alliances
Education: * Bachelor's degree required * MBA or other related business experience is a plus (business acumen - translating operations into business benefit) * Paralegal or other legal credentials a plus.
The Vendor Contract Lead (VCL) role provides CRO category leadership within the Clinical Services Procurement (CSP) team. The VCL collaborates with the Strategic Sourcing Category Lead during and post the vendor selection process to ensure Master Agreement terms can be operationalized within CSP. The VCL ensures a best in class approach with regard to vendor outsourcing and contracting, including leading the development, implementation & execution of a vendor outsourcing strategy, processes, templates and forms, timelines and metrics within the CRO category.