Information Technology (IT)
FSA has an immediate vacancy for a senior level Paralegal/Legal Assistant III supporting the United States Attorneys Office (Pittsburgh) in the Financial Litigation Unit (FLU).
The Financial Litigation Unit (FLU) is staffed with an Assistant U.S. Attorney and a Paralegal Specialist. Its mission is the collection of criminal and civil debts owing to the United States. Criminal debts include fines, penalties and restitution ordered as part of sentencing judgments in federal criminal cases. These debts frequently involve high-dollar restitution judgments ordered to be paid to the victims of a convicted defendant's criminal activity. These victims may be private citizens or governmental agencies. The FLU works closely with other federal agencies involved in the collection of federal debts. These include the United States Probation Office, the Clerk of the United States District Court, the Internal Revenue Service, the Department of Education and the Department of Agriculture, to name a few.
A Paralegal/Legal Assistant III executes the following duties:
* Receives, examines and evaluates FLU cases referred to the USAO for completeness (e.g. missing documents, conflicting statements)
* Drafts and prepares motions, pleadings, orders, etc., for the review of and approval by an AUSA for filing in federal, state, or local courts
* Performs complex legal research related to federal financial litigation cases
* Opening and maintaining litigation files; creates case related spreadsheets and databases
* Obtaining and analyzing information to determine debtors present and future potential ability to pay
* Conduct debtor exams by initiating contact with debtors concerning payment of their obligations, their ability to pay and negotiating payment schedules to collect the debt owed
* Preparing appropriate pleadings and orders needed to undertake the initiation of and follow up on post-judgment remedies
* Monitors work and reports on progress; responsible for ensuring that work meets contract and attorney requirements and is delivered on time
* Assists attorney in depositions and hearings by preparing, reviewing and organizing discovery and researching case law
* Designs and develops systems and procedures for tracking, controlling, and managing case files, exhibits, and other case-specific materials
A Paralegal/Legal Assistant III must meet the following qualifications:
* Possession of a paralegal certificate
* At least two years of paralegal litigation experience; trial experience is very helpful
* Knowledge of the capabilities and use of automated resources and technology for the development, presentation, and prosecution of federal cases; at least one year of automated litigation support experience
* Knowledge of the principles, concepts, and methods of legal research and analysis sufficient to perform assigned case development and documentation assignments which are typically covered by established precedents
* Excellent written and oral communication skills, analytic ability, and thorough knowledge of legal research tools
* Hands-on familiarity with a variety of computer applications, including word processing, databases, spreadsheets, and telecommunications equipment
* Ability to obtain and maintain Public Trust Security Access
This position requires U.S. Citizenship and a 7 (or 10) year minimum background investigation.
Preference will be given to qualified applicants who are familiar with the specific policies, processes, procedures, and practices of this customer office, and who are cleared to commence work immediately.
Forfeiture Support Associates (FSA), LLC is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote qualiﬁed persons in all job titles without regard to age, ancestry, color, gender, HIV status, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation (including gender expression and identity), veteran status, family leave status or any protected group status as deﬁned by applicable law.
Recognized for our industry experience in upholding the Department of Justice (DOJ) Asset Forfeiture contract, Forfeiture Support Associates (FSA), LLC is dedicated to delivering smart and flexible staffing and support solutions to government agencies across the country.
We take great pride in our ability to provide consistent customer satisfaction, unsurpassed service, integrity and excellence in all our solutions.
FSA customers include all agencies with in the Department of Justice such as EOUSA, USAO, FBI, DEA, USPIS, USMS, and ATF and more. We also provide services to other federal and local government agencies.