Information Technology (IT)
Focused on delivering unsurpassed services in support of the law enforcement and homeland security communities, FSA, a rapidly growing joint venture owned by trusted solutions providers Engility and AECOM, has a vacancy for a Paralegal III supporting the USAO Financial Litigation Unit.
The Paralegal III will perform a full range of technical work associated with debt collection and will provide a full range of technical support and assistance to district staff:
* Reviews and analyzes claims of legal assistants/paralegal staff for legal merit and compliance according to the Federal Debt Collection Procedures Act while assisting attorneys.
* Shares and handles the workload of legal assistant/paralegal staff, to include special assignments and large research projects.
* Provides the spectrum of technical processing activities associated with financial litigation include: reviewing of written correspondence to referring agencies acknowledging receipt of claims; monitoring work and reports on progress; and ensuring that work meets requirements and is delivered on time;
* Troubleshoots and performs quality control spot-checks to include: formulating administrative and technical procedures for getting the work done; monitoring and overseeing the analysis of financial information and debtors to determine their present and future potential ability to pay and assure successful collections of debts; skip tracking activity when necessary to locate debtors, enforcement of judgments in criminal cases, and independently performs and handles all functions to collect amounts imposed as a result of prosecution of criminal cases.
* Performs complex legal factual research and recommends compromise settlements and write-offs to Supervisory Assistant US Attorneys. Refers civil claims back to the originating agency on own initiative. Makes recommendations on appropriate legal action to take, prepares the necessary documentation or, when appropriate, takes actions on own initiative to liquidate civil and criminal judgments.
* Designs and develops systems and procedures for tracking,c controlling, and managing case files, exhibits, and other case-specific materials which may include assistant trail staff in coordination with expert witnesses; reviewing computerized data to evaluate the progress and effectiveness of the debt collection work.
* Produces a variety of written documents and materials utilizing a wide range of office software applications. Ensures all correspondence has been properly formatted, includes correct spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and grammar.
A Paralegal III must meet the following qualifications:
* Bachelor's Degree or Paralegal Certificate
* At least three years of legal experience in a Financial Litigation Unit or comparable debt collection background
* Sound working knowledge of legal system, legal research procedures, and sources of information
* Excellent written and oral communication skills, analytic ability, and thorough knowledge of legal research tools. Ability to reason, analyze and communicate complex information both verbally and in writing.
* Ability to respond to questions and inquires from the public and District personnel regarding policies and procedures for assigned area. Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relations with those contacted in the course of work.
* Hands-on familiarity with a variety of computer applications, including word processing, database, spreadsheet, and telecommunications
* Ability to conduct interviews and gather information
* Ability to consistently deliver highest quality work under extreme pressure
* Ability to plan and organize workload to meet scheduled timelines
* Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust Security Access
This position requires U.S. Citizenship and a 7 (or 10) year minimum background investigation.
Forfeiture Support Associates (FSA), LLC is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote qualiﬁed persons in all job titles without regard to age, ancestry, color, gender, HIV status, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation (including gender expression and identity), veteran status, family leave status or any protected group status as deﬁned by applicable law.
Recognized for our industry experience in upholding the Department of Justice (DOJ) Asset Forfeiture contract, Forfeiture Support Associates (FSA), LLC is dedicated to delivering smart and flexible staffing and support solutions to government agencies across the country.
We take great pride in our ability to provide consistent customer satisfaction, unsurpassed service, integrity and excellence in all our solutions.
FSA customers include all agencies with in the Department of Justice such as EOUSA, USAO, FBI, DEA, USPIS, USMS, and ATF and more. We also provide services to other federal and local government agencies.