SMA Family Access Manager (includes all of NY except NYC)
Professional Diversity Network
Syracuse, NY, USA
The FAM will provide patient education and support site of care logistics, patient facing reimbursement education, disease state and product education as well as provide emotional support for the patient and their caregivers. The FAM will interact with physicians, nurses, pharmacists, ancillary staff, patients/families, and advocacy groups to prevent and address barriers to patient access
Serve as the primary source for all regional patient advocacy activities.Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
* Works closely with patients/families to work through the steps required to gain access to therapy (disease and product education, site of care logistics, understanding of payer policy and procedure, and other support services).
* Works as the patient advocate in regular cross functional meetings with Case Manager, Account Executive, Market Access & Reimbursement to build and maintain accurate case plans for patients (e.g. case histories, insurance, on-going coverage needs etc).
* Works cross functionally to identify and support the resolution of patient access barriers including insurance coverage, reimbursement, financial limitations, site of care, procurement/distribution issues.
The purpose of this position is to be the patient facing expert on the Rare Disease patient journey and the liaison for all Biogen team members involved in the process. They are responsible for engaging cross functional stakeholders on next steps to support appropriate patients getting started and staying on therapy. The Family Access Manager (FAM) will get to the root of any logistical issues impacting treatment initiation and ongoing therapy. They are able to identify the point person to resolve the issue (AE, Market Access & Reimbursement, and/or Case Management). The FAM will have an in depth understanding of the HCP prescribing account, the administration site of care, and the payer approval process at the patient level.* Will work with MA&R team members who will ensure proper reimbursement, engage with payers, specialty pharmacies, and specialty distributors to ensure access.
* Must be able to provide strong emotional support for the caregivers and collaborate with them in a way that allows for forward progress.
* Be knowledgeable of any changes in the patient access environment to identify issues that may impact access and communicate information appropriately to patients/caregivers.
* Complete a comprehensive assessment of the individual needs of the patient taking into account the patient's family and team of healthcare providers. This assessment will include understanding the individual's payer policies, plan designs, including Medicaid coverage if applicable, as well as the healthcare system local to the patient.
* Develop and offer solutions to the family, when necessary, that may also include communication of alternative insurance options and how families can best connect to available resources.
* Educates patients, families, and caregivers on product and all Biogen services
* Develops activities with the goal of achieving greater openness and understanding of rare disease.
* The FAM will also build the rare disease network/relationships through local advocacy groups, rare disease related events, and attending national conferences.
* Maintains up to date knowledge on product and BIIB resources available to support patients/caregivers at the regional level and applies this knowledge in a way that supports patient care.
* Minimum of 5 years total business experience in the healthcare or biotech industry with at least 3 years field based experience in account management, sales, or field reimbursement. Rare disease experience a plus.
* A successful track record in field reimbursement, clinical education or in pharmaceutical sales/management of products that required significant payer and reimbursement involvement.
* Experience in supporting biologic therapy administered by a designated health care provider
* Seasoned, mature pharmaceutical professional with a comprehensive understanding of field / patient reimbursement, charitable funding, non-profit organizations
* Experience leading cross functionally and influencing without authority
* Case management experience in rare disease a plus
* Experience dedicated to assisting patients/caregivers
* Must be familiar with relevant legal and regulatory environment in biotech industry
* Strong communication and listening skills
* Effective at managing complex individualized cases
* Strong EQ skills
* Must be comfortable spending 60% of their time traveling
* Driving is an essential duty of the job; candidates must have a valid driver's license to be considered
Master's Degree Preferred
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.