At Biogen, our mission is clear: we are pioneers in neuroscience. Biogen discovers, develops, and delivers worldwide innovative therapies for people living with serious neurological and neurodegenerative diseases. One of the world's first global biotechnology companies, Biogen was founded in 1978 and today has the leading portfolio of medicines to treat multiple sclerosis, has introduced the first and only approved treatment for spinal muscular atrophy, and is focused on advancing neuroscience research programs in Alzheimer's disease and dementia, MS and neuroimmunology, movement disorders, neuromuscular disorders, acute neurology, neurocognitive disorders, pain, and ophthalmology. Biogen also manufactures and commercializes biosimilars of advanced biologics.
Global Business Services and Business Optimization
The Global Business Services (GBS) and Business Optimization team is a newly formed organization established to transform Biogen's business processes with a vision of "Lean and Simple" operations to fuel commercial growth and the innovation pipeline. Further, GBS will provide further value by developing and delivering a suite of business solutions and support services that are valued by internal customers. GBS will deliver services by leveraging a global delivery model, operational transparency and metrics, leveraging global best practices, and a service-oriented process improvement culture. All solutions will be supported by strong business cases and ultimately monitored for the effectiveness and efficiency against benchmarks and service level agreements.
The vision of GBS at Biogen is to be recognized as a world-class Global Business Services organization driven by the desire for excellence in its people, business solutions, execution and partnerships with internal customers to develop "Lean and Simple" business solutions.
The Senior Director, Procurement Operations, will provide leadership to procurement operations group which includes the Sourcing Center of Excellence (COE) teams - Data & Analytics, Contracting, Buying Desk, Catalog Mgmt., Supplier Enablement, Technology requirements, and maintain process ownership of Source-to-Pay processes - Buying Channel, Supplier Relationship Mgmt., Category Mgmt., Stakeholder Mgmt., Supplier Risk & Compliance, Acquisition & Divestiture, Training & Resource mgmt, annual Long Range Plan (strategic plan)/Annual Operating Plan (budgeting process) and other processes while maintaining Governance & Policy to support global Procurement function. This leader will partner effectively with other procurement leaders and business partners (customers) to understand their needs, collaborate with GBS leaders to drive continuous improvement.
* Understand the annual business plans and needs, and overall procurement goals and objectives, and to translate it into operational plan for procurement operations group
* Provide strategic direction and overall leadership to the COEs, provide leadership and support procurement processes and maintain governance and policy for the function.
o COEs - Data & Analytics, Contracting, Supplier Diversity, Buying Desk, Catalog Mgmt, Supplier Enablement, Technology requirements and others. Provide leadership to develop and sustain the COEs. Establish strong COE performance to support well-functioning procurement function and GBS for the benefit of Biogen. This includes appropriate metric, scorecards and other performance measures to drive rigor and discipline for high performance across each COE. Manage procurement systems, maximize value of data, insights, reporting and propose and implement improvements where possible. Further mature the Supplier Diversity program to drive differentiated value for Biogen.
o Procurement Processes - Buying Channels, Supplier Relationship Mgmt., Category Mgmt., Stakeholder Mgmt., Supplier Risk & Compliance, Acquisition & Divestiture, Training & Resource mgmt, annual Long-Range Plan (strategic plan)/Annual Operating Plan (budgeting process). Provide leadership and maintain procurement processes for its validity and effectiveness. Ensure these process are understood and adhered to by the procurement community as they execute the processes. Provide thought leadership for Training & Resource mgmt for procurement to support skills and competencies enhancement. Team-up with the CPO and the category managers/leaders to maintain and keep current savings pipeline view across all categories and connect it to the annual planning processes (LRP/AOP). Ensure desktop procedures and training materials are kept current and deployed throughout the year.
o Governance & Policy - Supports execution of business plans and contributes to the development of functional strategy, governance and procurement policies
* Set goals and objectives that lead to increasing levels of delivery and maturity for the operations team by supporting and executing procurement goals and strategy
* Continuous Improvement: Partner with senior stakeholders to facilitate, prioritize and execute CI projects, drive efforts to reduce service errors, increase efficiency, mature our controls environment, and reduce operational risk.
* Builds and maintains relationships throughout the organization
The ideal candidate for the Senior Director, Procurement Operations will have the following experiences:
* Minimum 15 yrs relevant experience, including 5-7 yrs experience in management/leadership position performing operations and/or sourcing work in a procurement function.
* Business acumen - Applies broad industry knowledge and commercial awareness to drive operational performance of the group. Demonstrated ability of strong executive presence and influencing ability to shape intended outcome
* Leadership - Leads through subordinate managers; contributes to the development of functional/operational long-term strategy and develops annual business plans to ensure alignment. Ability to lead, motivate and coach direct reports. Experience and/or passion to build a progressive operations function
* Problem solving - Directs the resolution of highly complex problems looking beyond existing methodologies and own discipline to define and resolve complex problems. Ability to prioritize complex, competing initiatives - excellence in multi-tasking, problem solving and critical thinking
* Impact - Guided by the business plans, impacts procurement results by deploying best practices and developing building business case(s) for funding for technologies, skills and competencies
* Communication - Excellent verbal and written communication skills demonstrated by solid executive presence, the ability to operate in the details or at executive level, and the ability to communicate with both technical and non-technical audiences
* Strong interpersonal skills - Ability to work collaboratively with others from any functional area or background, to influence thinking, and gain acceptance of others. Ability to work with and through all levels in an organization
* Self-motivated and capable of operating independently with limited oversight. Strong sense of personal accountability for work tasks
* Demonstrated experience in global shared services and/or global business services environment with a track record of operational delivery with high degree of customer-focus
* Proven ability to create solid project plans and to manage full lifecycle of project execution with rigor and disciple around deliverable creation and deliverable quality
* Comfortable dealing with ambiguity in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment
* Operate as a both strategic thinker and detail-oriented operational management
* Familiarity with business intelligence platforms and database tools
BS/BA or University degree is required. MBA or advanced degree in Supply Chain Mgmt. or Operations is highly preferred.
The Senior Director, Procurement Operations, will provide leadership to procurement operations group which includes the Sourcing Center of Excellence (COE) teams - Data & Analytics, Contracting, Buying Desk, Catalog Mgmt., Supplier Enablement, Technology requirements, and maintain process ownership of Source-to-Pay processes - Buying Channel, Supplier Relationship Mgmt., Category Mgmt., Stakeholder Mgmt., Supplier Risk & Complaince, Acquisiton & Divestiture, Training & Resource mgmt, annual Long Range Plan (strategic plan)/Annual Operating Plan (budgeting process) and other processes while maintaining Governance & Policy to support global Procurement function.