Paralegal / Legal Assistant II Supporting the USAO
Tucson, AZ, USA
Information Technology (IT)
Focused on delivering unsurpassed services in support of law enforcement and homeland security, FSA, a rapidly growing joint venture owned by trusted solutions providers SAIC and AECOM, has a vacancy for a Paralegal/Legal Assistant II. In this role, you will be supporting the overall mission of the USAO and DOJ's Asset Forfeiture Program. The Asset Forfeiture Section at the USAO is responsible for the prosecution of both criminal and civil actions against property used or acquired during illegal activity.
A Paralegal/Legal Assistant II executes the following duties:
* Assist attorney, provide Legal Clerk review
* Reviews case material and prepares digest of selected decisions/opinions incorporating legal references
* Searches for and summarizes relevant articles in trade magazines, law reviews, published studies, financial reports, and similar materials for use of attorneys in the preparation of opinions, briefs, and other legal documents
* Prepares digests of selected decisions or opinions which incorporate legal references and analyses of precedents involved in areas of well-defined and settled points of law.
* Interviews potential witnesses and prepares summary interview reports for the attorney's review.
* Participates in pre-trial witness conferences, notes possible deficiencies in case materials (e.g. missing documents, conflicting statements) and additional issues or other questionable matters, and requests further investigating by other agency personnel to correct possible deficiencies or personally conducts limited investigations at the pre-trial stage
* Prepares and organizes trial exhibits, as required, such as statistical charts and photographic exhibits
* Verifies citations and legal references on prepared legal documents
* Prepares summaries of testimony and depositions
* Drafts/edits non-legal memoranda, research reports and correspondence relating to cases
The United States Attorney's Office (USAO) serves as the nation's principal litigators under the direction of the Attorney General. The Asset Forfeiture Section at the USAO is responsible for the prosecution of both criminal and civil actions against property used or acquired during illegal activity.
A Paralegal/Legal Assistant II must meet the following qualifications:
* Possess a paralegal certificate.
* At least one year of litigation paralegal required; trial experience very helpful
* Automated litigation support experience very helpful
* Basic knowledge, including knowledge of standard legal citation system sufficient to perform basic legal research
* Excellent written and oral communication skills, thorough knowledge of legal research tools
* Hands-on familiarity with a variety of computer applications, including word processing, database, spreadsheet, and telecommunications
* Ability to consistently deliver highest quality work under extreme pressure
* Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust Security Access
This position requires U.S. Citizenship and a 7 (or 10) year minimum background investigation.
Forfeiture Support Associates (FSA), LLC is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote qualiﬁed persons in all job titles without regard to age, ancestry, color, gender, HIV status, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation (including gender expression and identity), veteran status, family leave status or any protected group status as deﬁned by applicable law.
Recognized for our industry experience in upholding the Department of Justice (DOJ) Asset Forfeiture contract, Forfeiture Support Associates (FSA), LLC is dedicated to delivering smart and flexible staffing and support solutions to government agencies across the country.
We take great pride in our ability to provide consistent customer satisfaction, unsurpassed service, integrity and excellence in all our solutions.
FSA customers include all agencies with in the Department of Justice such as EOUSA, USAO, FBI, DEA, USPIS, USMS, and ATF and more. We also provide services to other federal and local government agencies.