Collections Paralegal / Legal Assistant III Supporting USAO Financial Litigation Unit
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Information Technology (IT)
Focused on delivering unsurpassed services in support of law enforcement and homeland security, FSA, a rapidly growing joint venture owned by trusted solutions providers SAIC and AECOM, has a vacancy for a Paralegal/Legal Assistant III to support the USAO District of AZ Financial Litigation Unit (FLU).
The FLU litigates debt collection issues and enforces collection of criminal and civil debts owed to the United States or to victims of federal crime. Civil recoveries are generally from delinquent student loans and small business loans, environmental penalties, bankruptcy judgments, and civil fraud prosecutions and penalties. Criminal recoveries are for special assessments, restitution which is returned to crime victims, fines and penalties.
A Paralegal/Legal Assistant III executes the following duties:
* Receives, examines and evaluates FLU cases referred to the USAO for completeness (e.g. missing documents, conflicting statements)
* Drafts and files legal pleadings: complaints, motions, writs, memorandum, briefs, subpoenas, interrogatories, warrants, and notices
* Investigates defendants' financial history through subpoenas, interrogatories, financial statements, credit reports, legal databases and internet searches
* Participates in debtor exams, interviews debtors and employers, determines appropriate actions for collection, establishes financial repayment plans, files wage garnishments, receives and processes payments, reconciles case balances
* Assists attorney in depositions and hearings by preparing, reviewing and organizing discovery and researching case law
* Prepares and organizes trial exhibits, as required, such as statistical charts and photographic exhibits
* Verifies citations and legal references on prepared legal documents
* Prepares summaries of testimony and depositions
* Drafts/edits non-legal memoranda, research reports, financial and statistical reports, and correspondence relating to cases
In accordance with the contract:
* Performs basic legal research in support of forfeiture work, including research of case law, slip opinions, etc. Utilizes a variety of automated legal research tools as well as public information databases and other automated resources to research case- or program-specific legal matters, and to participate in assigned areas of criminal or civil proceedings, e.g. electronic discovery
* Receives, examines, and evaluates new and complex cases referred for judicial forfeiture proceedings by the seizing agencies with reference to the facts of the case and agency standards for case litigation worthiness, appropriate titles of law, and pertinent case law
* Reviews investigative reports for probable cause for forfeiture, determines the need for additional information and evidence, and plans a comprehensive approach to obtain this information and evidence
* Advises the forfeiture attorney regarding the merits of the potential forfeiture and the probabilities of success of the forfeiture in light of the strengths and weaknesses of probable cause and potential defenses
* Assists forfeiture attorney in persuading claimants and claimants' attorneys of the correctness of the agency's legal position and the appropriateness of the agency's proposed settlement. Prepares appropriate documents for settlement or other appropriate disposition. If settlements cannot be agreed upon, prepares all necessary pleadings for the court in order to attain the issuance of default decrees of forfeiture
* Assists forfeiture attorney in pretrial preparations by preparing, reviewing, and organizing discovery; notifying, interviewing, preparing summaries of, and managing witnesses; and researching case law
* Interviews federal agents and other local law enforcement officers concerning the probable cause for forfeiture and the availability of evidence and witnesses
* Prepares legal pleadings necessary to commence judicial forfeiture proceedings and subsequent motions, papers, and proposed orders to accomplish forfeiture, settlement or dismissal
* Assists in preparing for court proceedings by compiling, organizing, and indexing various evidentiary exhibits
* Receives transcripts of depositions and prepares summaries to assist attorneys
* Uses CATS database to extrapolate data for reports, charts, graphs, and trial exhibits
* Provides training to other contractor paralegals as needed
A Paralegal/Legal Assistant III must meet the following qualifications:
* Possession of a paralegal certificate.
* At least two years of paralegal litigation experience; trial experience is very helpful
* Knowledge of the capabilities and use of automated resources and technology for the development, presentation, and prosecution of federal cases; at least one year of automated litigation support experience
* Knowledge of the principles, concepts, and methods of legal research and analysis sufficient to perform assigned case development and documentation assignments which are typically covered by established precedents
* Excellent written and oral communication skills, analytic ability, and thorough knowledge of legal research tools
* Hands-on familiarity with a variety of computer applications, including word processing, databases, spreadsheets, and telecommunications equipment
* Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust Security Access
This position requires U.S. Citizenship and a 7 (or 10) year minimum background investigation.
Forfeiture Support Associates (FSA), LLC is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote qualiﬁed persons in all job titles without regard to age, ancestry, color, gender, HIV status, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation (including gender expression and identity), veteran status, family leave status or any protected group status as deﬁned by applicable law.
Recognized for our industry experience in upholding the Department of Justice (DOJ) Asset Forfeiture contract, Forfeiture Support Associates (FSA), LLC is dedicated to delivering smart and flexible staffing and support solutions to government agencies across the country.
We take great pride in our ability to provide consistent customer satisfaction, unsurpassed service, integrity and excellence in all our solutions.
FSA customers include all agencies with in the Department of Justice such as EOUSA, USAO, FBI, DEA, USPIS, USMS, and ATF and more. We also provide services to other federal and local government agencies.