United Rentals, Inc. is an $8 billion dollar Fortune 500 organization and the largest equipment rental company in the world. The company has an integrated network of over 1,100 rental locations in 49 states, every Canadian province, and 11 in Europe. The company's 18,000+ employees serve construction and industrial customers, utilities, municipalities, homeowners and others. Additional information about United Rentals is available at unitedrentals.com.
The Sr Developer - EDW/ETL is responsible for supporting the expansion and support of the Enterprise Data Warehouse. The employee's primary focus is on analyzing disparate sources of data, designing data movement and transformation procedures, and implementing ETL (extract, transform and load) processes to move data from source systems into the appropriate EDW data structures.
* Analyze data from various enterprise source systems to understand the structure and context of the data, and how it fits into the Enterprise Data Warehouse. Identify potential source system data issues and/or gaps.
* Design, develop, test and optimize data movement routines from source systems into the EDW, using tools such as Double-Take CDC, WhereScape, and GoAnywhere.
* Design, develop, test and optimize ETL processes to incorporate source data into the Enterprise Data Warehouse (Teradata) using SQL and an ETL tool (WhereScape).
* Support nightly ETL job streams, including some after-hours and weekend support as needed.
* Work closely with the Business Intelligence team to ensure business reporting requirements are supported by the Enterprise Data Warehouse.
* Create and maintain EDW related documentation, including but not limited to SOPs, data models, ETL jobs, metrics and meta-data.
* Ensure design and development follows best practices and standards as laid out by the Data Warehouse Architect and IT policies.
* Participate in offered training opportunities as well as conduct self-lead training over relevant topics.
* Log work efforts and time allocation within the company's Project and Portfolio Management tool.
* Address system issues escalated by the Support Center/Help Desk.
* Assist in installation, upgrades and maintenance of the EDW system. Requirements
Education: Bachelors' degree in a technical field
* 5+ years of experience within a data warehouse environment.
* 5+ years of experience working with relational databases (Teradata preferred)
* Strong SQL coding of at least 5 years.
* Strong data modeling skills of at least 3+ years.
* Experience with ETL Tools, preferably WhereScape.
* Experience with data replication and transfer tools, preferably Double-Take CDC and GoAnywhere.
* Detailed knowledge and understanding of relational and dimensional data models
* Experience in business and technical requirements gathering.
* Effective communicator both verbal and written.
* Ability to diagnose and resolve problems independently with creative approaches.
* Ability to communicate standards and best practices and train junior team members on their use.
* Ability to work with report developers, data modelers and business analysts to ensure the BI functional infrastructure meets the design and delivery needs of the business projects.
* Strong analytic, problem solving, and collaboration skills
* Self-motivated and willing to work in an energetic, fast paced team environment.
Other Skills: Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Office environment; sitting at desk and working at the computer.
* On-call and after-hours support is required.
United Rentals, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer of women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.